Skip to main content

College Resources



News & Events

BE Library

The University of Washington Built Environments Library is one of 16 UW Libraries and focuses its services for students in the College of Built Environments. Located in the heart of Gould Hall, the BE Library contains a specialized and unusual collection of about 60,000 monograph and periodical volumes in the four CBE disciplines. The library has a comfortable and welcoming atmosphere in which to study between classes or browse recent books and magazines.

Visual Resources Collection

The Visual Resources Collection of the College of Built Environments serves faculty, students, and staff by providing digital images, scanning services, and slides to meet the classroom and research needs of the College.

The Collection consists of approximately 90,000 digital images and 130,000 circulating 35mm slides, representing the worlds of architecture and related fields, design, and art history. The digital image database is available online; please contact the VRC Director for an account to access this resource.

The Collection is always growing. New accessions include commercial image purchases, images requested by faculty from printed materials, on-site photography, donations of original images from faculty, and retrocataloged images from un-cataloged sections of the Collection.

The Visual Resources Collection is staffed by one full-time professional director and employs graduate assistants and Work Study students. See the right-hand column for location, hours, contact information, and a login link to the digital image database.

Computer Facilities

BE Computing resources include the Digital Commons lab, the Archnet design studio technology services group, classroom computing and presentation technologies, a College-wide server infrastructure, and technology support to students, faculty and staff. Printing, plotting, and scanning are available in both the Digital Commons and Archnet.

Photography Laboratory

The Gould Hall photo lab (room 019) has a traditional film darkroom and a studio space for lighting and shooting models, furniture, and other student work. Courses taught in the photo lab include ARCH 410 Introduction to Architectural Photography, in which students learn 35mm film photography basics, and ARCH 413 Architectural Photography Projects for advanced students.

Fabrication Labs

The College of Built Environments enjoys a well-developed collection of fabrication technologies and supporting infrastructure. Supported through the office of the Dean, they are housed primarily in the Fabrication Laboratories just off Gould Court on the first floor of Gould Hall. The Labs support work for specific classes, and are open to the entire CBE community during open hours. The recent formation of BE-Fab allows graduates, professionals, and other interested parties to also pursue projects in the CBE Fab Labs on a fee basis.

The Fabrication Labs are staffed by Penny Maulden (Director), Steve Withycombe (Staff), and Roark Congdon (Digital Fabrication Staff), along with a group of capable student assistants. Kimo Griggs, Associate Professor and Associate Dean for Technology Transfer is the Faculty Advisor.

Coffee Shop

The Buzz proudly serves Torrefazione Italia Napoli blend coffee and Perugia blend espresso. This student run coffee shop directs all profits towards CBE student scholarships.

The Buzz has two locations to best serve the CBE community. Gould Court is open Monday – Friday. Architecture Hall second floor is open Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. The Buzz is closed for UW holidays and during the summer.


The Territorial University of Washington opened November 4, 1861, in a building on a 10-acre tract of hilly wilderness which is now in the financial heart of downtown Seattle. The University was firmly established as an institution of higher education by the time Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Growth made larger quarters necessary and in 1895 classes opened in Denny Hall, the first building on the present campus, which is located between Lake Washington and Lake Union. The Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition, held on campus in 1909, opened a new period for the University by providing many new buildings and focusing national attention on the Pacific Northwest.

Since World War II, the University of Washington has earned an international reputation for its research and the quality of its graduate programs. For the last 18 years, the University has ranked among the top five institutions in the country and first among public universities in receipt of federal grants and contracts.

Enrollment at the University is over 30,000, of which about one fourth are graduate students. There are more than 3,000 teaching and research faculty positions and a staff of 12,000. The 700-acre campus has 128 buildings in a wide diversity of settings from formal quadrangles to native forests. The library collection of over four million volumes is one of the largest in the nation. Although there are a number of high quality small private universities in the region, the University by its size and academic and research stature is able to attract the top secondary school students of the region and beyond. Many members of the University’s teaching and research faculty have national and international reputations for their work. The University of Washington is one of the major seats of learning and research in the western United States and ranks among the finest
universities in the country.

The College of Architecture and Urban Planning originated when the University decided, in 1913, to create a College of Fine Arts which was to encompass a department of Architecture. An Urban Design and Planning department was added in 1941, and it joined with Architecture to form a separate college in 1957. The Department of Landscape Architecture and Building Construction was initiated in 1960, and separated into two different departments in 1963.

The university’s policy on equal opportunity and disability accommodation —